Tuesday, September 4, 2012

SO thankful!

So its been an...interesting... couple of weeks with Carson. That kid is his own worst enemy I swear! First off, about 2 weeks ago he was playing with his cousin running around the shed. They were going in opposite directions and they ran right into each other. His cousin is 12 so when they fell he landed on Carson and Carson hit the back of his head on the corner of the cement. He immediately had a bump so big that it was bleeding through the pores from the pressure. The ER did NOTHING! Its been 2 weeks and he still has a bump, the pediatrician said its a scar tissue bump, when there is a SKULL FRACTURE the body creates a bump of scar tissue to protect it. So apparently he had a skull fracture. We are so lucky that there was no bleeding in his brain, I am so thankful that he was ok, with the weight of his cousin and him falling we are so lucky that it was just a skull fracture. So that was fun. It always gets better around here! On Sunday during primary Carson was given a quarter by another kid in primary. Because of the SPD he craves Oral input, in easier terms, he is always putting everything in his mouth, he is always chewing or needing something in his mouth. I was up at the front leading the music and I saw him grab his throat and reach for me. I knew immediately he had put the quarter in his mouth, I yelled "call 911" and basically jumped over the sunbeams. I knew the child heimlich maneuver would not get it out due to its shape and size so I picked him up and flipped him upside down and started the infant heimlich. I was pounding on his back as hard as I could. I heard his teacher get out her phone and start calling 911. It felt like I was pounding on his back forever. Finally I saw the quarter fall out of his mouth on the ground. I just fell to my knees and cried because I was so thankful he was ok. We left the primary room and the presidency took care of my singing time for that day. It was SO scary. I think the part that upset me the most was that I was in front of so many people watching me and that it was Carson. It was something that I had thought about a lot. He has to always be chewing or playing with something in his mouth, if I dont give him something then it could be something inappropriate. We talked about only putting his "chewies" (his mom approved chew things) and nothing else in his mouth but I just keep thinking what if I had not been there, what if I had been out in another room. It makes me feel like I cannot leave him alone at all. Sending him off to school was extra hard Tuesday! I will just have to fight those feelings because I know that its impossible for me to be there all the time. I am so thankful for my education and training, I am just blessed that I have the knowledge to help him and others. My education has been an amazing blessing in our lives and I believe strongly that ALL mothers and anyone around children often should know CPR and the Heimlich.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. How scary! What a blessing that you were there and knew what to do.

    ReplyDelete