Saturday, November 10, 2012

New beginnings?

Well it appears I will soon need to change the name of this to Me my son and Aspergers. We have changed pediatricians to one that specializes in  ASD, SPD, and other childhood nuerological disorders. From her we got the official diagnosis of Anxiety along with his  SPD diagnosis., also noted were his weakness in his hands that is pretty signifigant and his oral ability to appropriately chew and move food to swallow along with the balance and coordination and written expression struggles. We were also told that as we go the pshycologist this next week to be prepared, he will be most likely be diagnosed at that time with an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disoder) and that he fits the Asperger diagnosis, this may also come later but it is fairly certain. This does not surprise me, I have been aware that this day would come, as we attended OT and I spoke with his therapist we came to the understanding that he was on the spectrum and now it is just about going through the proper channels for diagnosis. I am also OK, really I promise. I have known for a long long time that something was not right, I have prepared myself and so as we go through the diagnostic channels I am truly OK. Carson is who he is, he is an amazing wonderful boy who is perfect just the way he is and this will not change that person. I came across this article on my support group facebook page and thought it would be wonderful to share. I think it will help many of my friends out there understand where we are and what is going on.

http://www.parents.com/blogs/to-the-max/2012/10/10/autism/how-to-be-friends-with-an-autism-parent/

I thought it had some wonderful things. Anyway we have a new list to add to our sensory list, new books to read, starting speech therapy for Oral appropriateness, pshychologist, theraputty for hand strength, DVD's and books for him to learn appropriate social behavior and responses, facial emotion pictures, more areas for calming sensory input and swinging and so on. We will be pretty busy for a while but that is ok! I am glad we will be busy doing the things that will benefit our son and make him the most independent and self confident he can be. He is also supposed to start some medication for the anxiety. I am not sure if that is the avenue we are going to persue, we are going to speak with the pshychologist first before we do anything. I feel as though we have no other choice, as his anxiety has really been a major problem in his life since he was 2 years old. It is most definitely not something we will take lightly or jump into, it will take alot of thought and discussion. Well that is what has been happening, hopefully I can get on and post again soon after the pshycology appointment on Thursday. Thanks everyone for all the support and help!

1 comment:

  1. Mel, My heart goes out to you. What a struggle you have been through. You are a wonderful friend and mother. I'm always here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete